Washington Island



Jo:

I first visited Washington Island four summers ago.  My twins were two and their big sister just four.  As a woman who has always valued and enjoyed freedom of movement those first few years of being almost stationary with infant twins crawled at a pace that left me itching to go; to take them into the world.  My husband and I were familiar, and quite in love with the Door Peninsula, having camped in its state park a number of times, but we had never made the ferry trip to Washington Island.  That changed the summer of 2013 when his cousin moved to the Island.  Sarah had lived with us, and been my third arm, for six months after the twins were born and to my mind there could be no better destination for my first solo adventure with my thirty-toes than to have her waiting for us on the other side.  That five hour drive, on my own, with three young children and a golden retriever was my entry back into the world, it gave me the confidence of a journey across many worlds; it was the opening of a new season.  

There is something sort of magical about arriving at a place by boat; and in the case of our first trip I was prepared with all of the caution of a new parent, we wore lifejackets.  The Island held magic for me on many fronts that summer and we have returned each one since and in the fall and spring (we will brave winter someday).  We don’t wear lifejackets on the ferry any more, but that ride always holds a particular anticipation and seems to serve as a gateway to a different state of mind. 

This is a seasonal place, and I know that I am part of the season of visitation.  Places mean different things from different perspectives, Washington Island is not home to me, but it has been significant in the marking of my seasons.  Now my brother lives here and I am thankful for it in new ways.  I am thankful to be an outsider who feels at home. 

Below are some images from last weekend, a sort of sneak peek at the many different facets of this place, a destination and a home. 




Jackson Harbor Maritime Museum




Washington Island Lookout Tower, Mountain Park




Island Lavender Farm Information Kiosk 




Washington Island Ferry Line




Sarah's Front Yard




The Post Office




Sievers School of Fiber Art




Jackson Harbor Soup and Sandwich 




School House Beach




Fair Isle Books and Red Cup Coffee




Island Baseball Fields 




Washington Island Airport 




Hotel Washington and Studio 




Washington Island Ferry Line




There she is, Sarah, at the Island Cafe

These images are a mere snapshot of the many lovely offerings of the Island, and fodder for a larger project, a kind of "Island Guide" that is inspired by my own experiences and the number of wonderful resources already available on how to see the Island.  More soon!


With gratitude,

Jo

Comments